Early Literacy Learning Center
The importance of early learning and early literacy skills is difficult to overstate. The first few years of a child’s life are critical for their long-term development and success in later learning. Children do an enormous amount of learning before they start school, starting from the moment they are born. Unlike older kids who are focused on reading and classroom learning, babies and toddlers learn by exploring their world. They need things to see, hear, taste, smell, touch and yes, even chew. The Library’s Early Literacy Playspace is a place where this sort of learning is encouraged and celebrated.
Our baby playspace is designed to allow our youngest patrons, aged 0-2, to get out of their car seats and explore the library in a safe, age-appropriate manner. In this space you will find board books, mirrors and wall mounted interactive games. This space is perfect for playdates, supervised visits and rainy day fun.
Early Literacy Diner
The newest feature to our Playspace is our Early Literacy Center. This two-story diner is intended to capture the imagination of
These skills include:
Narrative Skills – Telling stories and engaging in pretend play.
Letter Knowledge – Being able to identify letters in their names, on signs and packages.
Print Awareness – Knowing that books are read top to bottom and left to right.
Phonological Awareness – Being able to hear the different sounds inside works, songs and rhymes.
Print Motivation – Enjoy Reading and being read to.
Vocabulary – Learn specific names of items.
The Ticket Booth
- Two touchscreen AWE learning computers for children.
- One computer workstation for caregivers so they can get their work done while watching their little ones.
- A selection of children’s magazines.
- A number of interactive learning and play experiences.
Join us for fun and learning in the playspace and be on the lookout for exciting new changes as the area develops and expands.
- This area has been designed for children.
- Baby Playspace 0-2 years old.
- Early Literacy Diner 2-8 years old.
- Use of the playspace area is at your own risk.
- Adult supervision is required at all times.
- Please use equipment safely at all times.
Pleaseno climbing on furniture, cabinets andrailings.
- Please no climbing or standing on outside of equipment.